Learning a language builds oral and written fluency in that language while providing cognitive benefits your child will carry through life. Multilingualism optimizes brain function and keeps the brain flexible and ready to learn well into adulthood. Learning other languages is a key part of TNCS academics.
The 5 Cs of Language Learning
From age 2 years and up, TNCS students are taught by native Spanish and Mandarin Chinese speakers. Using the national standards set by the American Council on Foreign Language Teaching (ACTFL), our staff teach the 5 Cs of language learning:
Instructors share their skills, cultures, and experiences to provide your child with deep connections to modern world languages. Your child will learn to speak, read, and write in both Spanish and Mandarin.
Language In Action
Our Spanish and Mandarin Chinese Language Directors have designed curricula that emphasize absorption rather than memorization so that students feel comfortable using the target language. To make language learning active and interactive, they provide plenty of cultural exposure, such as cooking, singing, dancing, and playing games.
Most importantly, students learn actual content in the target language. Disciplines such as math and geography become even more meaningful when taught in another language. Your child will be able to use the language and think in it, not just memorize vocabulary.
Learning language is not just learning words; it is itself a tool for learning.
TNCS Twice Awarded Coveted STARTALK Grant
TNCS is the proud recipient of two consecutive grants from STARTALK, a National Foreign Language Center program. TNCS strives to make language-learning an authentic experience, not a lesson. Simple, real-world experience, such as what is actually going on in the classroom that day, gives students context and a reason to communicate in the target language verbally and in writing.
- Hosts with the Most—Rewarding Experiences!
- TNCS Hosts Winter Exchange Program for Visiting Chinese Students
- TNCS Celebrates the Year of the Rooster!
- TNCS Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Night!
- TNCS Hosts Education Conference for Teachers from China
- Why You (Yes, You!) Should Consider Becoming a Host Family!
- Meet the Teachers: Wei Li and Yangyang Li
- Meet the Teacher: Manuel Caceres
- TNCS Visits Chinese Schools!
- TNCS Elementary Skypes with Students from Other Countries!
- Gilman School Seniors Visit TNCS for Some Spanish Fun!
- TNCS’s Foreign Language Program Embraces the 5 Cs
- Multilingualism at TNCS: Optimizing Your Child’s Executive Function