Through the use of inquiry, students receive a thorough grounding in STEM subjects (science, engineering, technology, and mathematics). Music and the visual arts are also part of the daily curriculum, promoting creativity and mindfulness. Multilingualism is another necessary skill in our global world, and our elementary students learn to speak, read, and write fluently in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese in addition to English.
Elementary School Areas of Focus
TNCS’s robust elementary program encompasses all disciplines in a challenging, enriching whole.
Literature & Language Arts
- Appreciation of a variety of literary genres
- Strong writing skills, including creative writing
- Hands-on experimentation
- Exploration of the natural sciences
- Understanding engineering concepts
World Languages & Cultures
- Building fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish
- Teleconferencing to sister schools around the world
- Geographic knowledge and cultural understanding
- Real-world problem-solving
- Algebraic thinking
- Understanding measurement and data
- Music history and music appreciation
- Reading music
- Playing a musical instrument
- Promoting fitness, body awareness, and coordination
- Movement and exercise incorporated throughout the day
- After-school athletics and team sports
- Keyboarding and word processing
- Using mobile devices and web-based tools
- Collaborating on digital projects
- Art history and appreciation
- Utilizing a wide variety of media and techniques
- Community art projects
Elementary School Curriculum: Inquiry-Based Learning Tools
- Units of Study in Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing
- Junior Great Books
- Raz Kids
- Engineering is Elementary
- Singapore Math
- The Daily 5
- IXL: Online Math and Language Arts Practice
- March STEAM Madness at TNCS!
- TNCS’s Annual Elementary & Middle School Information Nights: An Overview
- TNCS Continues Annual Service to the Community with Project Linus
- TNCS Students Get Technical!
- Ozone Snack Bar Grand Opening!
- TNCS Bonds in the Great Outdoors!
- TNCS Elementary Attends Healthy Harbor Report Card Release!
- TNCS Upper Elementary Treads the Boards!
- TNCS Science Fair 2016: It All Starts with a Good Question!
- TNCS Elementary Gets Positively Presidential!
- TNCS Elementary Walks back through History with Fredrick Douglass!
- Meet the Teacher: Kiley Stasch Joins TNCS Elementary!
- TNCS Elementary Students Save the Holidays!
- Meet the Teacher: Elementary STEM Instructor Dan McGonigal Joins TNCS!
- State-of-the-Science Elementary Writing Instruction at TNCS
- TNCS Students Discover Math-e-Magic!
- TNCS Stem Fair 2015 Makes a Huge Splash!
- TNCS Elementary Takes Earth Day by Storm!